Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Intro to the Camp Shoehead concept...

So, what exactly is Camp Shoehead, anyway?  The Camp Shoehead concept developed a few years ago, starting with a general dissatisfaction of the way society had progressed; and the proverbial "Rat Race" that seemed to become the focal point of life in this modern world. A one-hit wonder band--The Godfathers--pretty much summed it up in a 1988 song, "Birth, School, Work, Death".  The idea that one works to basically pay for their house, which remains empty most of the time because they're at work all week. Rinse and repeat, until death.   I found something inherently flawed about this concept. Is that all there is to life?  Is that somehow supposed to be fulfilling and bring forth happiness?  The idea came to me, that if I could find some cheap land somewhere, and pay it off as quickly as possible, and get my home built and paid for just as quickly--maybe I wouldn't need to work so much at a job just to pay for my housing. Maybe, I could enjoy life a bit more, and spend more of my time writing, creating, living.

In 2009, two things impacted me that set the idea of Camp Shoehead in motion. One of these was the interruption of my electricity service by Southern California Edison.  For 116 days, I lived in a 5-bedroom house with no electricity, essentially "camping" in my backyard.  I got used to a routine, and cooking over a fire pit.  I realized, that with planning and some lifestyle modification, I survived, and learned a few skills that helped my in basic survival. Around this time, the other thing that stuck with me, was a buddy of mine who made the comment, "I don't understand the concept of homelessness. As long ass I have a tent, I'm never homeless..."  While a bit misguided on a socioeconomic level, I understood what his meaning was, and its implications to my electricity-free situation.  I survived, and I could theoretically make an off-grid camping-style living situation possibly work for me.  It was there, that I started the idea of "Camp Shoehead", and by the time the electricity was restored, I deemed my experience "Camp Shoehead Beta", and started making plans for "Camp Shoehead 2.0".

My planning stages began by seeking out land, and brainstorming the concept for developing my homestead.  I posted a lot of pictures of log cabins, and tiny houses on Facebook.  I dubbed my future cottage "Uncle Shooey's Cabin", after the beloved Harriet Beecher Stowe classic.  For about 5 years, I brainstormed, conceptualized, dreamed, shared pictures, and worked out ideas for what my ideal homestead would become.  Next, I'll explore some basic concepts of what I've come up with, and what I plan to do.


1 comment:

  1. I can relate. The house went upside down when the housing crash happened. Cant sell it cause it aint worth what we owe. One day I was in my car on the phone with my mom and said "I spend more time in my car than I do my house, I might as well live in it." Enter Van Life! But I still want land as a home base for my travels. I still have the house that no body wants....for now, but I have my sights set on the west!

    ReplyDelete